Additionally, my little daughter consciously smiled at me for the first time the other morning. The corners of her mouth curled upward and it flopped open in a beautifully toothless grin. It lasted for about five seconds and I think they may have been the happiest of my life.
Saturday, April 23, 2011
Nighttime Feedings
I'm up late these days. Funny how a baby will do that to you. Normally, I'm too groggy to comprehend the time, but there's one time during the night that I look for. The 4-5 am feeding is my favorite time of the night...or morning, whichever way you look at it. I stumble out the recliner in the front room, arrange the "boppy" pillow around my waist, situate my semi-conscious daughter, and then I watch and listen. I stare out the window above my stairwell. When I first arrive, all is dark. Some nights I can vaguely make out a tree branch, others not at all. But I'll watch and incrementally I'll start to see the night shift, almost like a person rolling over in her sleep. The black grows into blue, and when that happens, I close my eyes so I can hear it. Our downstairs neighbors are Muslim. They either come from India or Pakistan, I'm not sure which. But anywhere between the four and five o'clock hour, the father starts the call to prayer. The straight tones echo through up the stairwell and into the still apartment. And I just listen and rock to the rhythm. It lifts my sleep-deprived soul. I don't particularly enjoy getting up at all hours of the night, but I find that I look forward to this feeding time. So thank you downstairs neighbors, for making this transition just a little bit easier.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Isn't it funny what you come to love and/or enjoy as a new mommy.
Love your thoughts. And your writing is still excellent. Love that you are enjoying motherhood too.
That's actually my favorite feeding time, too, and may be one of the reasons Caleb isn't totally sleeping through the night yet. I have a hard time giving that one up - it's actually the best time of day for me to actually read my scriptures, which makes it a really great part of the day for me. :0)
Post a Comment