Sunday, August 3, 2008

This is a monumental occasion in Bloggerness. I am actually posting another blog.

Sorry. No pictures. I've lost my little cord that goes from the camera to the computer in the move. Ces La vi.

We made it successfully across the country without any major incidents, but of course with several minor ones. We learned several things and have decided that Wendy's is the only food worth eating on the road. Blah!

We have named our GPS Wallace, our car's name being Gromit. Now we truly have Wallace and Gromit. We enjoy to no end saying, "Thank you Wallace" after it has offered a helpful direction. Both Wallace and Gromit helped us arrive safely.

The first rest stop we came too was a gas station. I thought stopping at gas stations to use the restroom was a fairly common (but wholly vile) practice. I was, however, proved wrong in Point of Rocks, WY. As I was using the ladies restroom I noticed a sign on the back of the stall that read something like this:
"If you are as grateful to have a restroom as we are too have a customer,
BUY SOMETHING FROM THE STORE.
These restrooms are for customers only.
There is a public restroom down the road."
I am regretful to say that we did not buy anything, however. But moved on post haste for fear of retribution. However, as I opened my car door, a little grasshopper friend decided to tag along. David spent the better part of 10 minutes trying to catch him. I always knew he was young at heart.

We stayed in Peru, Illinois, not be confused with Peru the country. Corn fields and cows could sum up this charming location. However, we had no fear of being mugged or our car getting broken into. Our only real threat was being trampled by the cow heard as we came in. I don't suppose it's possible to be crushed by corn stalks? Well anyway, Peru offered us hospitable accommodations for the 7 hours we resided there.

The last leg of our journey was plagued by bad food and all too friendly gas station cashiers. I spent a good fifteen minutes in a gas station somewhere in the middle of Illinois listening to the cashier explain the finer points and ups and downs of working in a gas station. Our lunch was pizza at a gas station that did not feel none too sanitary. (My mantra this trip became, "Thank heavens for Purrel.") I ate half of my pizza until I realized that if I ate another bite it would do more harm than good. List of jobs that I will never want:
1) Gas station cashier
2) Toll booth collector
3) Hotel attendee
4) Truck driver
That about sums it up.

We finally got into Hershey at around 10:30 and what to my wondering eyes did appear, but our front room stuffed with furniture. (see accompanying photograph). Our friends to generously furnished our apartment with not just one but three couches, a dresser, an entertainment center, and a TV. We were so excited! Everyone has done so much for us.

6 comments:

Sarah said...

Hey Julie! It is good to hear from you & to hear about your adventures. I wish you the best in PA & by the way, congrats on getting hitched. :)

Steph said...

Sounds like you had quite the trip. At least you won't have to make that trek again until Christmas!
Your apartment looks nice--big family room and clean kitchen! It was nice to talk to you. You sound like you're doing well. I hope you really are. Let's keep better in touch.

Jami said...

Ha! I laughed reading your adventure. Now I know exactly what you mean. From the bathrooms to the food to the states with only corn to look at, I don't need any pictures. From Nebraska through Indiana, it seems that there was just CORN CORN CORN. I'm glad you're safe back in Hershey! We're trying to find a name for our GPS. Any bright ideas? My car's name is tortuga. I'll have to think on that one. Thanks for posting again. It was a nice surprise :)

Jenny and Travis said...

I just found out you had a blog! Wahoo! Now I can keep up with you and your life on the east coast! Hope you're having a good summer! --Jenny

Leanna said...

Hey Julie! It's so good to see that you're still alive. Sorry I missed you while you were here in Idaho. =( Good luck in PA!

Anonymous said...

Hi Julie -
we've never officially met, but anyone who would name their car and GPS Wallace and Gromit and who reads L.M. Montgomery must be a kindred spirit. :)