Today I miss my mom.
And how it will be fall in Iona soon-which means it will smell like salsa. The tomatoes will line the windowsill of the kitchen and my mom will slowly watch them ripen, saying things like, "I think they'll last another day." She'll say that for about three days and when finally they really won't last another day, she'll pull out the grinder, and the slicers, and the cutting boards, and the jars with the clunky metal rings, and her canner that's older than I am.
Water will boil, tomato skins will fall, knives will chop, and then steam will erupt. The little cuts on her hands from gardening all day will sting as the tomato juice runs over them as she slices. She'll have Johnny turn the handle of the grinder(this is the only job he will do willingly) as she slowly feeds pieces of onions and peppers into the top. The kitchen counter will be covered with the pots for boiling, pots for cutting, pots for stewing, and pots for canning.
She'll pour her conglomerate of vegetables into the jars, her hair flat from cooking in the heat of early fall, and her apron smeared with tomato seeds and onion skins. Carefully monitoring the canner, she'll take out and replace batch after batch, jar after jar.
She'll labor day and night as the fumes of salsa permeate the air everywhere. Upstairs, downstairs, bathroom, garage, all you'll smell is salsa. And maybe your mom makes salsa, and I'll bet it's great, and it probably smells good too, but our salsa always smells the best. Because my mom made it. And so therefore, it has to be the best.
I wish I had even one jar of my mom's salsa right now. I'd put it in the crockpot and keep it on warm all day. That way my apartment would smell like fall too.
7 comments:
Julie, I love your writing. Even though I don't have a similar memory of my mom making salsa, I can reminisce with you.
Good luck with school this fall. I'm rooting for you.
Its the little things ya miss the most when living far away. I could almost smell the salsa too.;)
Oh, but then it gets in your hair and you smell like hot sauce.
Nice memory, though. I bet your mom would send you a jar.
You are such a great writer! I love reading your posts and how you describe things! I miss my family and fall in Iona too!
Fall is my favorite Season, and Salsa is a huge part of it. Thanks for sharing!
Beautiful images and smells. I started feeling homesick for this home; while my home wasn't filled with salsa, I connect with the nostalgia of thinking about home.
And I agree with Sara. You have beautiful writing that I always love reading.
Julie! I love your blog. I am going to have to read all your posts, but not tonight because it's bedtime! And I think we might need to get your mom's salsa recipe because you made it sound really delicious! Love you!
Post a Comment