Tuesday, August 4, 2009

The box in the corner...

As of today you can see the floor of my new classroom. I know, I know, I'm choking up here. I never thought it would happen. It gets better. You can not only see the floor, but you can open 95% of the cupboards without anything falling on you. Thank you, thank you. I'd like to thank the janitors for making this moment possible for me. Without you, the junk would still be crowded around my doorway.

Current problems:
1) There's still a closet in the corner that is completely empty, but smells like a combination between a hamster cage that hasn't been cleaned in a few decades and rotting potatoes. (Shudder). I've Febreezed the life out of that closet until I thought the school would have to evacuate due to the fumes, but I return the next day and the smell beyond all potency still pervades. I'm thinking maybe there's something with its own life-force under the floorboards.
2) This one box. Just one box. And I don't have the courage to open it. I think I've seen it move a time or two of its own accord. A box like that just shouldn't be opened. So it sits in the corner, away from everything else. I have visions that it's last year's class pet stuffed away in this cardboard box--starved and rabid. And on the first day of school it will break out of its jail to the horror of 25 students and myself. You may think I'm inhumane not to let the poor creature out...but what if it's a snake?
3) August 31st. The day that school starts. Yes, that's a problem.

David and I have finished the Percy Jackson series, and there's a hole in my heart that cannot be filled. This always happens when I finish a good book. I make such good friends with the characters, I become emotionally involved. I'm with them through good times and bad times. And then...it ends. And they're gone. I could re-read the book, but it's like reading the memoir for someone who has died.
Books are like relationships. Some books are like weekend flings. They're okay, but when they're over you don't really feel that badly. Then there are those that are like summertime romances. You love them for a little while longer, look back on them with fondness and a little embarrassment that you liked them. But you're ready to see what else is out there. And then there's the year long relationship. It goes so much deeper then the others. You give over so much of yourself. But when that one ends, it's devastating. You are through with relationships because nothing else will compare. Oh the drama!
I need a rebound for my current ended book affair. Sigh.

No comments: